How to avoid toxic work environments

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
SimpleLife

How to avoid toxic work environments

Post by SimpleLife »

Most people generally like what they do, it's the toxic work environment and office politics that wear you down.

Over the last few years, I've gotten smarter about job hunting. I read in between the lines in the job description and what the hiring manager says during the interview.

Job descriptions such as "fast paced" or "constantly changing requirements" are things I avoid. When I was in my 20's trying to grow my career, it was one thing, but now...I'm burnt out.

I also avoid companies who have consistently bad reviews on indeed or glassdoor.

I email people on linkedin who work in the organization and ask them for the no BS truth about the work environment. They respond...

I avoid companies that talk about a lot of perks such as doggy day care, or all kinds of onsite ammenities/perks. Historically when I've worked for these types of companies, I quickly realized they are setup to be a home away from home because you will live there working 80+ hours a week.

I avoid jobs that I see posted, delisted, and then posted months later for years on end. The companies in these situations are not big enough/grow enough to keep adding more of the same position, it's generally the same position turning over repeatedly. One company I worked at I saw the listings like that for years, and when I started working there and watched the position turn over several times during my short tenure, it clicked.

When I go in for interviews, I evaluate the work areas, including where I will be working. Is it noisy, are you cramped together with other people? Do the employees look like they hate each other or are they laughing and collaborating? Better to find out now that they have open work environments with no privacy walls.

The interview afterall, is not just about them evaluating you, but about you evaluating them to determine if it will be a mutually beneficial working relationship.

What are your tips?

1taskaday

Re: How to avoid toxic work environments

Post by 1taskaday »

I think this is a great idea and very astute thinking.Try and know as much as possible before you sign up.Generally if you talk off the record to any contact on the inside they will only be too happy to tell the truth and unburden themselves.

Just like me when I saw the title of this thread.My antenna went up and Bing,another chance to moan about where I work.

That's the reason that I don't want to start a journal-who can learn anything from someone who moans constantly about their workplace,and yet stays there, Golden handcuffs and all that ...

A toxic work environment encroaches into every part of your life, if you let it and sometimes despite all your best efforts.

It slowly wears you down until as you say, you feel "burnt out" even though in a "normal" work place you would probably be functioning on all cylinders.It is truly really horrendous.

I try to use my work as incentive to get to a financial place that I will only work if I want.

My workplace is the incentive for me to reach FI. I know if I worked in any decent place I'd probably enjoy it and have no incentive.

So you see,I am really lucky to work where I do ...

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Find out whether there has been turnover in the position and why. You'd rather get a position where the previous occupant retired, moved away or left for other personal reasons unrelated to the job. Red flags are multiple priors who "just didn't work out", especially if they were only there a short time.

Make sure you ask each person you talk to what their biggest challenges on the job are. You want to get them to talk about their personal experiences and not the company itself. Try to figure out what causes the "challenge". Is it a co-worker? A client? Or something else. And do you get the same type of answers from more than one person?

Ultimately, you are trying to avoid sociopathic/narcissistic or so-called "borderline" personalities to the extent you can, which tend to be the root of all dysfunctional group dynamics. You can learn to recognize some of them if you read "The Sociopath Next Door" by Stout.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

My favorite job description to avoid - "High Adrenaline Shop".

Word of mouth is the best way to learn about a company. Glassdoor can tell you if they underpay. Public H1B data can give you a feel for how they hire. Networking functions can you let you see how managers treat employees. (Popular in the tech field.) I've found "vibes" given at interviews to be highly accurate.

In the end, being close to FI can give you a lot of choices and room to escape if needed.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I agree that turnover is a good metric to look for. One helpful method I've used is to study the job tenures of current employees on Linkedin. Especially for relatively small companies, that will help you identify the ones good at employee retention.

GandK

Post by GandK »

The one piece of advice that I wish I could go back and tell my past self:

Always ask your interviewer what their definition of an emergency is.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

GandK wrote:The one piece of advice that I wish I could go back and tell my past self:

Always ask your interviewer what their definition of an emergency is.
+1 on that! And how often they occur.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Good way to think about it, GandK.

One of the benefits of my particular career path is that I have some experience in user research. It's taught me the art of asking probing questions while keeping the subject's guard down, which has also come in extremely handy in the interviewing process. My favorite question that I love to ask during any interview is "what's the single greatest challenge facing the _____* team (*insert your group here)." It seems straightforward enough, but the trick is to ask this with a smile to everyone you talk to. The variety of answers from executives to secretaries will give you a very good sense of any internal politics circling your particular job.

As an example, the hiring manager of the team is most likely to cite specific tactical team challenges, hinting at corporate pressure and team weaknesses. His team members may criticize company leadership and elaborate on culture problems. His boss will give you insight into bigger corporate or market fears. Members of different teams will freely point out intra-team friction points. And the HR person will dance around it the most but will fill you in on specific personality stressors for various people if you read between the lines. Put them all together, and you'll leave having a better big-picture view of the job challenges than most people in the company. Yet no individual will realize you gathered so much critical information on the company as a whole -- they'll simply think you are a good listener who cares about their opinion.

retiredat47

Post by retiredat47 »

Also, if there's a glut of people with that particular set of qualifications needed for the job, and yet they can't find someone to work there, that's a big flapping red flag right there.