Beginner's woodworking tools

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

My approach for building my tool collection is to start with simple projects (my first project is to do mortise and tenon joints so I can frame a 4 sqft model house) and only get, approximately, the needed tools for that job.
Here's my list so far.

Sliding bewel

Beechwood mallet

Auger bits

Chuck brace

Dovetail saw, small, rip.

Carcase saw, small, crosscut

I already have the mortising chisels, a block plane, and a workmate bench to keep the stuff on.
I'm still naive enough to want to use hand tools almost exclusively... maybe I'll change my mind the first time I have to rip a board.
What am I missing from my list?

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I would have to have a set of BESSEY@ Screw Clamps, in the following sizes:
2 ea 36"

2 ea 18"

2 ea 12"
These are a must for gluing up, and also as another set of hands.

When coupled with the Workmate bench, you have a lot of holding capability for gluing, sawing, drilling. These are a bit pricey, and can be found at Garrett-Wade, and Lee-Valley.
I would also need a coping saw frame and blades for making curves and small holes. I would buy the best I could find.
Out of the hand tool scheme of things, I have an indispensable 7" craftsman table saw. This is a 1962 model and is no longer available. To get something like it, your looking at a foreign brand of saw, in the hundreds of dollars. For a good small table saw I would look at Rigid or Ryobi. You want a thin blade and smooth as silk running saw. They don't make them like they used to, unless you pay dearly for one.
Also---Please look at the 2010-2011 Craftsman Tool Catalog, free at Sears, for a super assortment of foreign brand high quality tools. Not sure why Sears is doing this, but the 2010-2011 catalog is full of good tools this year.
I admire anyone who wants to build something with hand tools only. It is becoming a lost art. I do that myself.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@HSpencer - I got the Lee Valley catalog right here :) I'll get a hold on the Craftsman catalog.
For the screw clamps, do you mean a "parallel-jaw bar clamp" (like K-Body/REVO/REVO-Vario) or a "handscrew clamp"?

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I am speaking of hand screw clamps. I have both Pony pipe clamps of several lengths, and some parallel bar clamps as well. I hardly ever do a project though without reaching for a "Bessey".
There are zillions of ultra-cheap woodworking clamps and I have been through (or "throw" as in throwing them away), a whole lot of them. For long or wide glue ups I use my 4 or 5 foot Pony pipe clamps. I have those in both 1/2" and 3/4" pipe stock. These excel as in gluing up a table top.
With the Bessey's you can make some jigs of various types to suit the work your doing, and I like being able to construct most any kind of holding device I may need.
What kinds of woods do you prefer? I can buy raw hardwoods like sycamore and oak from a local place called "Nation's Hardwoods". Well, I know the guy, so he lets me roam his warehouse and pick and choose. He will also plane it for me if he is not too busy, for no charge, which is why I have not bought my own planer ($$$$). I also like boxwood for making trim and bookcases. Boxwood is also kinda inexpensive there, so I can get lots of bang for my wood budget buck.
Last week, wife and I were on a road trip and stopped in a flea-market we had been meaning to for some time. I was amazed at this "wall of tools" in mint condition. Everything from the Cabinetmaker's shop to the Blacksmith shop. To make a short story long, I left there 3 hours later with a lot of old tools, many that were no longer made. You can bet I'm going back there ASAP. That seller has no idea (or does he?) as to what he's got!!

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Jacob - I don't see you listing carpenter's square, straight edge, bubble level, marking gauge, etc. Very essential if you want to make anything that's level or square or lined up.
Do you have a center punch?
In the realm of power tools, the two I use most often are a tabletop drill press and a skilsaw. A homemade T-square for the skilsaw allows you to make long square cuts... I find I use it more often than a tablesaw and it's much less bulky.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@George- What do I need a center punch for? I do need a mortising gauge, but otherwise I figure I'll hold off on the measuring stuff... the first I'll get will likely be a combination square.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Center punches are useful for layout and also keep a drillbit on center when you're starting a hole. Should even help an auger if the wood is hard.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Ahh, I usually just use a nail, hammer it in by 1 mm and pull it out again.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Popular Woodworking magazine put together a no-nonsense free manual to the essentials:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/icandothat/
I agree that you'll need clamps and measuring tools. Also, I don't see any finishing tools such as sanders, files, or rasps. Another must-have is a mitre box, although you could make that if you prefer.
I softened on power tools the first time I had to plane a big board. I still won't touch batteries though.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I should give an update of my acquisitions. This is a slow and arduous process. Aside from the stuff mentioned, I now have
A Disston D-8 26" 8 pt rip saw.

A #5 Lie Nielsen Jack plane

A chuck brace from Lee Valley

A 15 pt Lie Nielsen dovetail rip saw
I got all of it used. That stuff really does hold its value.
Still "working" on the combination square and the clamps. Watson's "Hand Tools" includes plans for building a work bench, but I'll stick with the work mate for a while.
Right now my biggest obstacle is actually in finding a place to buy wood not intended for home renovations. Don't laugh.

w88dm4n

Post by w88dm4n »

I started gathering antique tools at age 19 after nearly losing a finger, and have built half of my furniture by hand. It's amazing what you can accomplish in woodworking if you just care and pay attention and take your time. Don't worry about gathering a set of tools, just add as you need. A decent set of sharpening stones and the skill to use them is pretty important. I've been lusting after that dovetail saw since 1997 when Patrick and Pete founded Independence tool. The $10 saw I have is perfectly serviceable, so I'm sticking to what I have.
As I've read your book and blog, I bet you're the type to find trees after a storm and cutting them up for use. Wood is getting pretty pricey these days, so you may do well selling some.
The first time you use a handplane is like the first time you do contour integration with residues.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@w88dm4n
Thank you for your interesting post and for revitalizing this woodworking thread. As a fellow woodworker, I enjoy others who do hand tool work.

Although I have a complete shop of power tools:

Radial Arm Saw

Two Table saws, 8 in and 10 in.

Router Table

Belt Disc Sander

Jointing machine

Scroll Saw

Drill Press 10 in and 8 in

Miter Saws 12 in and 10 in

and $10,000 worth of accessories for all.
I have within the last year gotten "hot interested" on strictly hand tool woodworking, and most of my machines have fallen silent, unless I am doing a quick repair or something.

My latest project is a chair side reading table for the wife.

It is to have a 24" and 30" top, one drawer, and tapered legs.

I bought some Sycamore in the rough from a hardwood supplier and am making it out of that material. The Sycamore is closely grained and will finish out quite nice. I usually get my selected hardwoods S4S, but I asked him to just load it from the stack, as I wanted to hand plane it all myself.

At this point, I have the legs done, and the carcass of the drawer. Although I have a dovetail setup for the router, I am going to hand cut the dovetails. This incurred a lot of head scratching and trial and error, but I made myself use the marking gauge and a bevel and lay them out. I won't brag---just yet, and I won't show pictures of the trash can where I made a lot of boo boo on waste stock while learning (all over again) how to hand cut dovetails!!!!

But, let me tell you that standing at my bench, the door of the shop open, and a gentle rain falling, I loved the experiences I have had. It is very self-settling doing hand tool work.

(Am I tempted to cheat with the table saw and router? Yes, a few times I almost backslid, but have been true to my intentions).

Yes, as you state in your post, the hand plane, spokeshave, and chisel work is pure pleasure. I appreciate the training I got from my dad on hand tools. "It's all coming back to me now", as the song lyrics go. I hope several others on the forum have a keen like for hand tool work and will share some of their experiences!!

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@JasonR
Well, it would all depend on what your goals would be. What do you wish to build, and how often you are able to involve yourself in woodworking. I have way too much stuff, but there are several reasons for it. I had a woodworking grandfather, and a woodworking father, and hence I have all those tools. For a while, I was a "tool junkie" and I went off the deep end a lot. Then I did apartment management (with another whole set of the latest tools being purchased). So, I have a 600 square foot shop and very little room. And, this is after the "great housecleaning" where I sold off or gave away a lot of things I could no longer possibly use or need.

To enjoy woodworking you really only need the basic set of hand tools. I have a small tool chest, mostly of high quality hand tools, and I am using those instead of most of my machines. In that small chest you would find:
4 chisels

4 screwdrivers, 3 straight and 1 phillips

warrington hammer, 10 0z

Disston hand saws, rip and crosscut one of each

Stanley No 4 plane

Stanley block plane

Try Square

Combination Square

Bevel Gauge

Brace and Bits

Hand Drill

Push Drill

Marking Gauge

Scratch Awl

Nail Sets

12 oz Plumb Hammer

Wood Rasp

Dovetail Saw

Compass Saw

Pry Bar

24 inch and 12 inch level

Spokeshave

Drawknife

Razor Knife (retractable)

Common Pliers

Nail pulling pliers

Sharpening Stone and Guide.

6 ft folding rule

2 ft folding rule

25 ft tape measure

carpenter square 12X24 in.

Hand Screw Clamps and Bar Clamps (not in tool box, kept in shop).
(Above list is from memory so don't hold me to it being exact)
Most of these tools can be bought used, but I would consider buying good new ones if it meets your needs. Used tools can be redone to perform very well. Once the tools are in hand, a nice tool box can be constructed from on hand wood. Hinges, hasp, and a handle can be purchased at any hardware store. Most woodworkers like making their own tool box, and maybe doing something custom to it, adding your name, etc.
Being a good shopper, I don't see why someone could not get an assembled set of hand tools fairly reasonable. The important thing is to wait, and not buy cheap tools. I would rather have a good quality used tool than any cheap new tool. Most of my hand tools are Stanley, and some brands you can no longer get these days. Stanley is always a pretty good bet.

For supplies, you need your glues, stains, wood fillers, and I like a small can of Boiled Linseed oil for lubrication and keeping the wooden tool handles.

My small kit is my treasure. I can woodwork about anywhere with it, and one of the folding portable workbenches like Sears or Black and Decker makes.

You don't need very much money to enjoy woodworking!

Everyone is different on tools used most often. One needs to add or subtract tools as they work. Some will find my list incomplete, and some will think it is too large. This is what I personally like having when I am working.

The main thing is your interest. Cultivate it. Hand Tool skills are fading away quickly in our culture.

Good Luck!!!

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

This is very close to the tool set I now have.
I'd add a sliding bevel to the layout tools. Make sure your marking gauge can do mortises as well. I don't have a scrub plane---I usually buy S2S lumber anyway. I'd really like to get a shoulder plane.
I could do with one panel saw filed rip, a coping saw, and a dovetail saw. I have more saws than that. A rip saw cuts cross as well. A crosscut doesn't rip well, but it kinda works.
For sharpening I use a Veritas jig (mark 1) and the scary sharp method (sandpaper glued on glass).
A spokeshave will also come in handy.
I also got some scrapers on my "wish list".
I second the Lie-Nielsen or Veritas argument. I practically think of it as inflation protection (instead of gold). I've gotten all of my Lie-Nielsen stuff used for "new price"-shipping-5%. If you expect to get a "good deal" by buying used, forget it(!)---although there's some savings to be had by not going for tools that come with the cardboard box; collectors value cardboard. In a few years, I expect to be able to sell it for close to what I paid for it.
(Also, having only experienced crappy and dull tools growing up, the difference is ... I don't even know how to describe it. Amazing!)
PS: I've been building a tool box, that's about 1x1.5ft. I holds almost all of the above except the long saws and the jack plane. I'll write a blog post with pics, when it's completed.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

For a bench, I use a black&decker workmate. This is barely tolerable for planing as long as I put most of my weight on it. Definitely far from ideal, but usable.
If you have the space, use/make a real bench.
I also have 6 Bessey K-clamps for holding things together for gluing.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

This won't help you Jacob, but for the less space constrained out there, I recommend Grizzly tools for power tools. The are not the finest out there. they are the best value power tools i've found. most are built to a price point. but the same (predominately chinese) factories that churn out our mainstream brand names Delta, Dewalt, etc, make nonbranded production runs as well. these can often be found branded Grizzly. of course their Bellingham warehouse is just north of me, so that makes them doubly convenient for me. as to finding wood to work with, we have specialty sawmills up here to work with, but we also have specialty hardwood shops for the more exotic woods. beyond that, EBAY has a fine selection of very fine wood to work with and is my preferred source forsmall amounts of luthier quality woods.