Paypal vs selling on ebay

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a regular paypal account to sell stuff (accept payment) on eBay?

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

That's the way I've always done it. Has anything changed recently (it's been a few months since I sold anything)?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Probably not ... I'm just confused about the various levels of paypal accounts. (I have the most basic one.)

AnonymouserX

Post by AnonymouserX »

If you're open to selling locally you can use Craigslist for free.
Although I haven't tried it myself, I've heard of Bonanzle as a low cost EBay alternative.
http://www.bonanzle.com/site_help/gener ... onanzle%3F

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Amazon charges 15% on selling. They don't charge listing. For media, they give you a credit $3.99 for books and $2.99 for CD/DVDs which often more than cover the postage (and you make your own envelopes for free, right ;-) ).
Ebay currently has a free listing offer if the starting price is under $1.

Checking Carly

Post by Checking Carly »

Craigslist is definitely good for local selling. I don't think they charge any kind of listing fee. Plus you can stipulate that the item must be picked up, which gets rid of shipping costs.

I've had some success with ordering and selling books on Half.com, which is a subsidiary of eBay. Unless you list your book at the lowest price though, you might have to wait for awhile to sell it. Shipping costs can also deteriorate your profits.

If you're interested in selling fast, you might want to try advertising on your Facebook account or Twitter.

I've never tried Amazon but 15% seems like a lot.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Depending on what you're selling, sometimes you can find a forum of enthusiasts and deal direct.
Also, RevolutionMoneyExchange does not charge fees on sending or receiving money... They started strong a few years ago, but have fizzled. I try to convince people to use them over paypal (or pay my fees!)

Macs

Post by Macs »

Hi!
The forum seems to have taken off well, well done, Jacob.
Bearing in mind I'm in the UK so the eBay and Amazon set-ups may be a little different, I'd just add that although Amazon 'commission' is higher you do seem to get a better class of buyer and can generally charge much higher prices for the same items compared to eBay ;-)