ERE Fest 2023: Ft Dirtbag

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
mathiverse

Re: ERE Fest 2023: Ft Dirtbag

Post by mathiverse »

The geopolitics talk was possible due to having an MMG meeting the week before on the topic, so in my case there is a direct line between the MMG and being prepared to give a talk at EREfest.

I flew in and stayed in AxelHeyst's studio. I brought a sleeping bag and sleeping pad in my carry on. AH offered to lend me a sleeping pad if I needed one.

A number of others who flew in borrowed tents or shared AH's large six person tent. At least one flyer brought his tent in his luggage.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

It’s the pegs in carry on that are the problem when bringing a tent. But it’s possible to improvise pegs or just buy a pack after arriving at the destination, theyre just a piece of wire dirt cheap.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

There was more detailed travel information shared privately with everyone. I kept it vague on the forum intentionally.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:41 am
There was more detailed travel information shared privately with everyone. I kept it vague on the forum intentionally.
I can appreciate the difficulty in striking the balance between details and privacy. Since my decision whether to go anywhere or not has a lot to do with how difficult it seems to get there, perhaps enough public directions to get within a cab ride might hit the mark?

For example, to get to ERE HQ, fly into either MDW or ORD which are both serviced by the L-train.
From ORD, buy a $3 L-train ticket at the airport train station and take the BLUE line (24hr operation) L-train to Clark/Lake. Transfer (free) to PINK line (from 6am to 1am) and get off at 54th/Cermak.
From MDW, buy an L-train ticket and take the ORANGE line (5am to 1am) L-train to Clark/Lake. Transfer to PINK line (6am to 1am) and get off at 54th/Cermak.
It's a 30-40 min non-sketchy walk to ERE HQ from there (PM for instructions). Alternatively, ERE HQ will send a driver to pick you up.
A few motels ($75) are available within a mile of ERE HQ. ERE HQ itself has room for N guests. It's possible to pitch one small two-person tent amongst the vegetables in the backyard. A tent+sleeping bag fits in a carry-on (pegs are a problem, poles not a problem?). Food is available or can be bought locally.

This would give an accurate idea of the logistical effort required for the trip.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Poles are okay I had them in carry on numerous times. I am talking the flexible some-sort-of-fibre with a rubber string pulled through, unsure about the old school aluminium ones but think they’re not used for 2 person tents anyway.

I wish this happened in Europe by the way, I would totally plan an up to a month cycling trip to catch it :)

Bicycle7

Post by Bicycle7 »

I'll echo some of the stuff people have already said about the event and add a few things. This was the first time I met anyone from the forums in person and I felt an instant connection with everyone. Having a shared language around MBTI, Wheaton levels and frugality felt special. Speaking of personality, 4 people at Fest identified as INFJs (myself included) which out numbers the 2 people I know in the rest of my life who are INFJs. There were also at least another 2 NFs (ENFJ and ENFP) in attendance. I shared the theory that perhaps the NFs on the forum would be more inclined to attend an in person meet-up where they could connect with people through in person conversation. I feel inspired by all the cool and different things people are doing in their lives that was explored in workshops and through conversations.

Thanks again to everyone that made this event happen in one way or another, AH for hosting, folks that gave workshops, traveled, helped out, etc.

avalok

Post by avalok »

Did anyone camp with a bivvy bag, or would this not have been appropriate? Just thinking it is much more air travel friendly; lighter, no risk of pegs being confiscated by security.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

A bivvy bag would have worked. I don't think anyone used one this weekend, but AH has mentioned that he uses one at Ft Dirtbag sometimes.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Bicycle7 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:36 am
I'll echo some of the stuff people have already said about the event and add a few things. This was the first time I met anyone from the forums in person and I felt an instant connection with everyone. Having a shared language around MBTI, Wheaton levels and frugality felt special.
Indeed, this is the usual experience with meetups. I wonder whether it's the likeminded language and interests or getting together with so many of an otherwise uncommon personality/temperament and/or being able to connect with like minds.

I also wonder whether it makes a difference to have several days to spend together and/or doing stuff together as opposed to just meeting and talking for an afternoon which is the typical meetup format.

rube

Post by rube »

theanimal wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:45 pm
Also, consider it tentative for now, but Mrs. Animal and I are thinking ERE fest: Arctic AK edition, June 2025.
Wow, that would be cool. I made a note of this!

Bicycle7

Post by Bicycle7 »

@jacob for me I felt a convergence of all those factors, the shared interests, language and personality type. Maybe the shared interests for me was the less important factor out of the 3 because I felt that with the language and personality similarities a breadth of topics could be explored.

I reflected on the multiple day aspect as well. It felt as time went by and I was coming back to have second or third conversations with people that there was a greater depth that could be reached. I also appreciated a couple morning walks we went on where I felt like I could slip into flowing conversations with others.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

@jacob I think all those things you mentioned lower the "barrier to connection". I think another ingredient to the secret sauce is the renaissance ideal. When everyone has more interests than work + a single hobby, it's easier to find something to bond over, or at least talk about. Put many people together like that and the topic list seems nearly infinite.

It seems to me that the multiday format is the difference between "met at a party", and "friends from summer camp". The first day was mostly spent getting to know one another, and like @Bicycle7 said, it was easier to connect with greater depth on subsequent days and interactions. I also wonder if "sleeping on it" is beneficial to connecting like it is to learning?

I also think the structured activities improved connections somehow. One possibility is that doing something together provides a different type of connection than just talking. Another possibility is that with activity time reducing the overall time to "just socialize", one is more likely to get directly to what they want to talk about. It could also be that activity time gave some people the break they needed from conversation time.

Overall, I think a long weekend was the perfect length for a "festival" vibe. It may have felt like it could have gone longer, but I think the best games end just a little before you want them to--while you are still having fun, and I apply that same thinking to parties and now festivals.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

jacob wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:06 am
I can appreciate the difficulty in striking the balance between details and privacy. Since my decision whether to go anywhere or not has a lot to do with how difficult it seems to get there, perhaps enough public directions to get within a cab ride might hit the mark?
I think the difference is population density. Within 10-20 miles of you, there are millions of people. Within 10-20 miles of @AH, there are maybe hundreds at best. Given that, I think it was enough that @AH gave directions to where he or someone else could pick someone up. Anything much more than that would make it pretty darn easy for the wrong people with an extra hour to find the place with maps and satellite imagery.

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:24 pm
Pee is gold. I want it.
[something something, shower joke]
Ah, ok, I didn't realize that pee is actually a good thing. I guess it's the ammonia. I thought that most of the fertilizing effects come from number 2. If that's the case, this changes everything.

Jean

Post by Jean »

peak nitrate was the peak oil of the last century.

i don't really have additional remark.
I'm still impressed by how good everyone was.
I'm thinking about how to host one on my land or where i live.
That would be easy to reach without car, with three airport to choose from.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@Jean I would be there, no question :)

I think a textbook example of permaculture short circuit loop for compost toilet is to grow willows around it. Also raspberry bushes love it. Willows are a good material for a number of things, traditionally weaving baskets but also many others, for example reinforcing river banks as off-cuts grow roots easily and can then be weaved as they grow. Raspberry is arguably the ultimate posh berry :)

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

guitarplayer wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:37 am
I wish this happened in Europe by the way, I would totally plan an up to a month cycling trip to catch it :)
Ditto! I would love to participate in/help out with a similar event in Europe and would figure out how to get there by train and bike.

avalok

Post by avalok »

guitarplayer wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:37 am
Raspberry is arguably the ultimate posh berry :)
Raspberries are the best berry-technically-not-a-berry, but I have always thought Bilberry sounds posher. I can't not read the name without hearing an old-English aristocrat exclaim it in my head.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

avalok wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:23 pm
Raspberries are the best berry-technically-not-a-berry, but I have always thought Bilberry sounds posher. I can't not read the name without hearing an old-English aristocrat exclaim it in my head.
Need to remember that for my life in the UK test next month.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

I think the multi-day/ festival/ relative isolation factor was crucial to this experience. A meet-up is something you do in your day to day life. A festival is your day to day life.

I liked that there were a lot of skill shares, but they also weren’t the main activity. Dare I say hanging out and socializing was the main activity.

It didn’t take me long to feel comfortable with people, but I “knew” 4 ppl from my MMG (had a long car ride with 2 of them before arriving), got there a day early and met a smaller group and text with 2 other attendees regularly.

I’ve never felt so comfortable with so many people so quickly. I’ve never had so much fun with such little drama. I’ve never so enthusiastically participated in all group activities.

It was really nice to have 0 forced participation. I ended up doing all group activities (except when they overlapped with cooking), but it was really nice that all activities were optional.

I think a longer festival would’ve been desirable, although I think more interpersonal conflict may eventually happen (which maybe means I would cause it, was def cranky from lack of sleep at the end).

The format really ended up being perfect though, so much so that I don’t know if I can pinpoint the magic.